Friday, May 11, 2012

Change

As an RA (resident's assistant), this time of the year is hard, I just witnessed my batch of first year college kids experience life away from home. I as one of their only sources most of them really clung onto me, whether they want to admit they did or not. I watched when they were having great days, but also really awful days. I had a lot of tears, a lot of hugs, and a lot of me giving out awkward high fives. I watched these young adults grow and change into these quickly changing versions of themselves all year long which was really a neat ( and sometimes scary) thing to witness. This past year for myself, has been a year of change and adventure. I got my dream job here on campus, became an RA, quit an awful job, experienced break-ups, a few make-ups, I am learning about my faith again, made wonderful friends, and did many things I thought I would never do and go places I never thought I would go. With the end of the year having come and gone, I was having to say goodbye to a lot that helped me change so drastically this year and I was having a lot of trouble thinking that a lot of those things were very temporary. People, places where I lived, jobs, etc. can all be very temporary and I was having a hard time of thinking that I was about to have to let go of a lot that I was really enjoying having in my life, not because I wanted to, but because time's expiration date was about to expire. I didn't want to not live in the building I know so well, and not have the same people in the halls around me. I didn't want to work with a new staff, let alone be on a different side of campus next year. I didn't want new friends, and I didn't want a lot of people to leave me because I was really starting to become comfortable with who I am with these people. But, in the past week or so, I have had this overwhelming sense of calm and now I am really looking forward to what the next year has in store. I am excited for new people, jobs, interests, and adventures. Being home now, really made me realize I think I need all of these changed and I could not ask father time for a better time than, now. I am really happy with where everything going in my life including the overwhelming amount of change that is about to happen, and I definitely can fill my positivity journal with a lot of words right now. (Yes, I have a positivity journal).

No comments:

Post a Comment